The proverb "Don't look back, somebody may be gaining on you!" is all very well, but there are times when turning around and seeing what's behind is the wise thing to do:
- Hiking through dense woods --- if we don't want to get lost, looking back is a great help when it's time to go home again.
- Finishing a complex project --- a retrospective review ensures that all sub-tasks are properly completed.
- Studying a good book --- levels of meaning and dense prose require multiple readings to appreciate.
- Solving a tough problem --- "lessons learned" can make future jobs simpler.
- Living --- as we look back, we smile at our mistakes, take pride in our accomplishments, and remember the people whom we've known and loved.
Friday, September 17, 1999 at 20:37:56 (EDT) = Datetag19990917
(correlates: ConflictAversion, FourHoursDaily, IdeaChampions, ...)