In the Woods

http://zhurnaly.com/images/walk/Fairchild-House_In-the-Woods_2021-02-06.jpgFairchild House and five acres of adjacent grounds were acquired in 1959 by CCRA. It is the remainder of a 34-acre estate, named "In the Woods," developed by Dr. David Fairchild, the renowned botanist, and his wife, Marian, in the early part of the 20th century. The house was innovative for its emphasis to connect with the natural setting via its many exterior doors, roof deck terrace and interior detailing that celebrated the natural world. On the property, beginning in 1906, Dr. Fairchild planted many important tree species including the Dove, Cedar of Lebanon, Chinese Fringe, Nikko Maple, Oriental Oak and Flowering Japanese Cherry, many of which survive to this day on the CCRA property and are listed as Maryland Champion Trees. As a U.S. Department of Agriculture scientist, Fairchild traveled the world and brought over 200,000 plants and seeds to the U.S. He is responsible for introducing many foods to Americans that are now commonplace, such as avocados, mangos, and more. He also became well known for his role in the introduction of the Japanese Cherry trees at the Tidal Basin and in the Kenwood neighborhood.

(as seen during walk 2021-02-06 - In the Woods) - ^z - 2021-03-13