Keith Johnstone Improv Quotes
- "Every time you go the way the audience expects, they'll think you're original. People laugh with pleasure at the obvious."
- "If you do your best, you'll get some form of stage fright. Be obvious. If you believe you're good already, you don't need to do extra stuff to impress us. Your best work comes when you're absorbed, because then your ego is away."
- "We made a mistake. That's good. We just learned something."
- "You may never know what the other person wants. You'll be an expert at saying "yes" — but you'll never know what inspires your partner. Can you please or inspire your partner?"
- "In life, most of us are highly skilled at suppressing action. All the improvisation teacher has to do is to reverse this skill and he creates very 'gifted' improvisers. Bad improvisers block action, often with a high degree of skill. Good improvisers develop action."
(cf. Impro (2012-11-10), Yes, and... (2012-11-14), Positive and Obvious (2012-12-12), Attendance (2012-12-29), Improv Story Rules (2013-01-20), Make Mistakes (2013-02-27), Your First 5000 Mistakes (2013-04-18), ...) - 2013-12-26