Kind correspondent Lila Das Gupta clearly knows how much I like (1) lists, (2) self-improvement homilies, and (3) optimism; she recently offered these "Twelve Characteristics of Tough-Minded Optimists" (from Alan Loy McGinnis' The Power of Optimism):
- Optimists are seldom surprised by trouble.
- Optimists look for partial solutions.
- Optimists believe they have control over their futures.
- Optimists allow for regular renewal.
- Optimists interrupt their negative train of thought.
- Optimists heighten their powers of appreciation.
- Optimists use their imagination to rehearse success.
- Optimists are cheerful even when they can't be happy.
- Optimists believe they have an almost unlimited capacity for stretching.
- Optimists build lots of love into their lives.
- Optimists like to swap good news.
- Optimists accept what cannot be changed.
... and Lila points out that these also work for marathon runners!